Sex Offender Unit
The Durham County Sheriff’s Office Sex Offender Registration Unit is essential to the safety and security of Durham County families. Deputies assigned to this unit monitor registered sex offenders in Durham County, conduct investigations, and apprehend offenders in violation of the conditions of the registry.
Hours of Operation
Registration hours are Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Durham County Sheriff's Office located at 510 South Dillard Street in Durham.
- North Carolina State Law requires any person convicted of a sex offense must register with the Sheriff of their county within 10 days of moving to that county. If moving within the state the offender must report to the current registering county within three business days to inform them of the intended address change.
- Sex offenders must register within three days of being convicted or released from the Department of Corrections.
If convicted but not given any active time, the sexual offender must register IMMEDIATELY.
- The bailiff or probation officer must bring the sexual offender immediately from the courtroom to be registered.
- Sexual Offender Registration is maintained for a period of at least 10 years, the offender may petition the superior court in the district where they were convicted to shorten the 30 year registration requirements, if they have not been convicted of another reportable offense requiring registration. Offender registration is verified on the first year anniversary and every six months after that.
- Being convicted of a violent sexual offense alone does not define someone as a sexual predator. A sexual predator is a person who has been convicted of a sexually violent offense and who suffers from a mental abnormality or personal disorder. The convicting District Attorney decides who is declared a sexual predator based on the offense and mental state of the offender that may indicate a pattern for reoccurring offenses. If you are a Sexual Predator, Recidivist, or Aggravated Offender the records can be maintained for life. Verification of your registration is conducted every 90 days.