Animal Services

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Hours of Operation

The Animal Services Division of the Durham County Sheriff's Office responds to calls for service Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. An on-duty deputy sheriff or the on-call Animal Services deputy is assigned to calls for service after normal operating hours.


NOTICE: There will be no Rabies Vaccinations on Tuesday, March 27th and Thursday, March 29th


Learn more about Animal Services on YouTube


Office Location

The Durham County Animal Services office is located at 3005 Glenn Road and is open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. This office should be contacted for information purposes only at 919-560-0630.

Emergency Calls

For emergency situations requiring the response of an animal services officer, please call the Sheriff’s Emergency Communications Center at 919-560-0900.

Routine Calls 

The Animal Services Division does not respond to barking dog or missing pet calls. The following types of calls are considered “routine” and will be answered during normal operating hours:

  • Stray or at-large domestic dog: Animal services will respond to and investigate reports of stray or at-large domestic dogs. “Stray” or “at-large” is defined as any animal that is off the property of its owner and is not under restraint.
  • Dangerous dog: Animal services will respond to reports of dangerous dogs where a person or animal is believed to have been attacked.
  • Animal bite: Animal services will respond to reports of bites committed by dogs, cats or ferrets.
  • Injured animal: Animal services will respond to reports of injured domestic animals.
  • Animal abuse: Animal services will respond to reports of animal cruelty that includes abandonment, abuse or neglect. Animal abuse also includes illegal tethering of dogs.
  • Nuisance domestic animal: Animal services will respond to reports of nuisance domestic animals. A nuisance animal is defined as:

High Priority Calls 

The following types of situations are considered high priority and will be answered after hours and during weekends by an on-call animal services officer or deputy sheriff:

  • Animal attack: Person being chased or attacked by an animal.
  • Dangerous Animal: A “declared dangerous animal” on the loose.
  • Traffic Hazard: Livestock obstructing traffic and causing an immediate hazard.
  • Rabies: Any person or domestic animal that has been or is currently in danger of rabies exposure.
  • Endangered Animal: Any animal in an immediate, life-threatening situation brought on by an attack or cruelty.
  • Serious Injury: Any unowned domestic animal with an incapacitating or life-threatening injury.
  • Mutual aid: Calls for assistance made by an Emergency Services Agency once evaluated by the Watch Commander
  • Trapped animal: Any animal that is trapped or confined by a citizen or business.

Helpful Links Animal Protection Society of Durham
Ready to adopt a pet or learn about discounted veterinary care? Visit the Animal Protection Society of Durham.

N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission
The Commission is responsible for the enforcement of N.C. fishing, hunting, trapping and boating laws.

Durham County Animal Ordinances
Code of ordinances for Durham County Animal Services


  • My neighbor's dog barks non-stop at all hours of the day, what can I do?
  • Durham County Animal Services will not respond to calls of this nature. Please contact a private pest removal contractor or wildlife trapper for assistance.
  • I think a wild animal has taken up residence in my attic or walls, what do I do?
  • I have a problem with raccoons, foxes, coyotes, or other wild animals coming onto my property or into my yard, what do I do?
  • Does Sheriff's Office Animal Services provide vaccinations?
  • I have a question about animal vaccinations or licensing, who do I call?
More FAQs