Honor, Duty and Service
The quality of neighborhood life, its safety and welfare comes from the commitment of each of its citizens. The Durham County Sheriff’s Office takes pride in its role as a citizen of the community; partners with its members in the delivery of quality law enforcement services. We dedicate our full-time efforts to the duties incumbent upon every community member. As we act, we are universal citizens deriving our authority from those we serve. We accept our law enforcement mission to serve our communities with the enduring belief that in so doing, we serve ourselves. As professionals, we view our responsibilities as a covenant of public trust, ever mindful we must keep our promises. As we succeed, our effectiveness will be measured by the absence of crime and fear in our neighborhoods and by the level of community respect for our efforts. In accomplishing this all important mission, we are guided by the following principles:
- To recognize the purpose of our organization is the skillful enforcement of the law, and secure detention of those committed to the custody of the agency. In all our efforts we will deliver humanitarian services promoting community peace.
- To understand we must maintain a level of professional competence ensuring our safety and that of the public without compromising the constitutional guarantees of any person.
- To base our decisions and actions on ethical as well as practical perspectives and to accept responsibility for the consequences.
- To foster a collaboration relationship with the public in determining the best course in achieving community order.
- To strive for innovation, yet remain prudent in sustaining our fiscal health through wise use of resources.
- To never tire of our duty, never shrink from the difficult tasks and never lose sight of our own community.